Wednesday, November 16, 2005

not a terrorist!

I am the proud owner of a lichna carta.

"Lichna carta? what is that?" you might be asking. well, this single card is possibly more important for bulgarians than a cell phone is to a notorious gossip. This card serves multiple functions; you must have it to work, to check into hotels, to enter the US embassy, to have a legal address- essetially, its a suped-up version of the marriage of a US driver's license and Social security card. Without this card, a person can't really do anything except order coffee at a cafe. Needeless to say, my life with this card will be much improved (especially because it means I can leave my passport at home!), but they can be tricky to aquire! Some PCVs spend as many as 5 weeks trying to get their card- luckily, I got mine in a week. The last step of the process, however, was definately something I was not prepared for! I had to be interviewed by the local authorities to determine wheither or not I was a terrorist, in the country with malicious intent, or anything else vile or presenting a threat to the state. This interview would be challenging enough, given that I'm a single female working with an NGO that works on minority issues (very, very strange here in the BG), but throw in the fact that I only understood about 30% of the questions I was being asked...well, lets just say that a few times, I just answered "yes" and hoped for the best. hahaha.

In other extremely exciting news, the central heating system in my apartment starting working on sunday night and i have a TV! this marked the official end of my sleeping while wearing a stocking cap and socks! Granted I don't really understand what's going on on the TV, but it also means that there will be a serious decrease in the number of mildly depressing nights where I made feeble attempts to stay warm while singing various english songs that I still remember...

okay, just wanted to post this while I could! andrea asked some really great questions, and next time, i'm answering them!!!!

4 Comments:

At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sis!

Couldn't help but smile picturing you with a stocking cap and socks laying in a bed piled high with blankets : ) Glad to hear that you will be warm now!!

Andrea

 
At 4:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While you were passing your Bulgarian terrorist quiz, I was failing my math quiz...
Oh well. I guess yours was a little more important to pass :)
Keep being awesome!

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still confused about your address from the previous posting. Can we get an english translation so the US Postal Service will be happy, and will deliver it to Bulgaria where BG Postal Service can read the address and deliver it to you? BTW's, love you! Stay warm! - Keithy

 
At 4:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Toni! Glad to hear you finally have some heat...sorry you were stuck in your stocking hat and socks! Wishing you lots of holiday joy! Love, Kari and Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home